Ontario nursing home at heart of murder case cited for 'medication incidents'
A woman walks into the Caressant Care facility in Woodstock, Ont. on Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016. (Dave Chidley / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Paola Loriggio, The Canadian Press
Published Friday, February 10, 2017 12:23PM EST
Last Updated Friday, February 10, 2017 2:27PM EST
Inspection reports show an Ontario long-term care home where a former nurse is accused of killing seven seniors was taken to task by the province for dozens of "medication incidents" just before it was ordered to stop admitting patients.
The recently released reports, which are dated Jan. 24, indicate there were 41 drug-related incidents at the Caressant Care nursing home in Woodstock, Ont., between early August and late December of last year.
The records show 22 such incidents involved medication not given to patients, six involved patients given the wrong dosage, five involved drugs given to the wrong person, three were doses given at the wrong time and one was medication administered without a prescription.
The incidents laid out in the reports took place more than two years after the departure of Elizabeth Wettlaufer, a former nurse now charged with eight counts of first-degree murder, seven of which involve then-residents of the home.
Caressant Care was told to stop accepting new patients on Jan. 25 after the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care expressed concerns about the safety of current or future residents.
The ministry said at the time that concerns about the home related to incidents that occurred since August 2016 and did not involve "any issues that the police have been asked to investigate."