Man charged in death of 4-year-old daughter expected to seek bail
Olive Oluwafemi is shown in a school photo.
CALGARY -- The lawyer for a man arrested in Ontario and charged in the 2014 death of his four-year-old daughter in Alberta says he is likely to seek bail for his client.
Oluwatosin Oluwafemi was arrested last month and flown back to Calgary to face a charge of second-degree murder.
The 39-year-old from Keswick, Ont., appeared briefly via video in a Calgary courtroom Tuesday and his case was set over to Jan. 21.
Lawyer Alain Hepner said he has received the pathologist's report and a description of the incident but is still waiting for more information.
He expects he will be asking that his client be granted bail before the end of the month and doesn't think Oluwafemi poses any risk if released.
"He didn't leave the country, he was in Toronto for the whole time, they knew where to get him. He was arrested and brought back but it's such a sensitive matter that I want to have all the information and all my cards in a row before I can establish a proper application for bail," Hepner told reporters after the court appearance.
Oluwafemi's wife and family friends were in the courtroom to provide moral support.
Officers called to a home in southeast Calgary on Dec. 19, 2014, found the preschool girl in cardiac arrest and not breathing.
Olive Rebekah Oluwafemi was taken to hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Investigators deemed the case a homicide.
They said the injuries leading to her death appeared to have been inflicted inside her home and were not the result of an accident.
Hepner said he hopes to discuss plans for a preliminary inquiry to determine if there is enough evidence to proceed to trial at the next court appearance.
He doesn't want the case to drag through the courts and hopes to have the hearing before summer.