A former Toronto pastor will serve nearly 15 years in a federal prison, a month after he was found guilty of manslaughter.

On Friday morning, a judge sentenced Philip Grandine to 15 years, but he will serve 14 years and eight months in prison, with credit for 2.5 months spent in jail during the trial.

Anna Karissa Grandine, 29, was found drowned in a bathtub in Scarborough on Oct. 17, 2011. An autopsy found traces of the sedative Lorazepam A, commonly known as Ativan, in her blood. She was five months pregnant at the time of her death.

Grandine called 911 from his home on Marsh Road, near Danforth Road and St. Clair Avenue East, on the night of his wife's death. The former pastor told the 911 dispatcher that he'd come home to find his wife underwater in the tub, not breathing.

"I just came home," he told the 911 operator. A tape of the 911 call was played in court during the trial.

"I was out running and my wife was taking a bath, and when I came home she was in the bath, but she's under the water and she's not breathing."

He was originally facing a first-degree murder charge, and the Crown alleged that he had plotted to kill his wife so he could continue an affair with one of his parishioners at Ennerdale Road Baptist Church.

He'd been forced to resign from his position at the church when his wife and other parishioners found out about the affair.

The Crown suggested he may have had access to the sedative found in her blood, as the former pastor was earning money by working as a nurse. Computer records showed that someone had used Grandine's computer to conduct searches as to whether a 100 mg dose of Avatin would be fatal.

The couple's doctor told the court that Grandine's wife had never been prescribed the drug, and that Grandine had told him he was unhappy in his marriage.

The defence argued that Grandine's wife killed herself because of the affair.

Grandine was found guilty of manslaughter on Thursday, Dec. 4, and has remained in police custody since.

With files from CTV Toronto's Austin Delaney