Five things to know about B.C.'s premier-designate John Horgan
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, June 30, 2017 4:17AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, June 30, 2017 6:15AM EDT
VANCOUVER - Here are five things about British Columbia NDP Leader John Horgan, who became premier-designate on Thursday after the Liberals were defeated in a non-confidence vote in the legislature.
- Born in 1959 and raised in Victoria, the youngest of four children. Father died of a brain aneurysm when he was 18 months old.
- Earned a bachelor of arts degree from Trent University in Peterborough, Ont., and a master of arts degree from Sydney University in Australia.
- Horgan was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2008 and was later declared cancer-free after surgery and treatment.
- Was was first elected MLA for Malahat-Juan de Fuca in 2005 and re-elected for Juan de Fuca in 2009 and 2013. Acclaimed party leader in 2014.
- Married his wife, Ellie, in 1984. They have two sons, Nate and Evan.