Family members of the ex-wife of Guy Turcotte are outraged that the former Quebec cardiologist who admitted killing his two children has been granted bail.

Turcotte was ordered freed on bail Friday while he awaits a new trial in the deaths of his children Olivier, 5, and Anne-Sophie, 3.

Turcotte's former wife, Isabelle Gaston, did not attend the hearing, but CTV's Vanessa Lee reported that her family was there and were clearly angry with the decision.

Gaston’s brother Patrick stormed out of the courtroom, saying that Turcotte will “always be a sadistic manipulator.”

Crown prosecutor René Verret told reporters outside the St. Jerome, Que. court that he was disappointed with the decision.

“Of course, this is not the conclusion that the Crown expected,” he said.

In Friday's ruling, the judge said he was satisfied that Turcotte was not a flight risk and posed no danger to himself or the public.

Turcotte testified during his bail hearing that his mental health was better, thanks to medications and regular appointments with health professionals, and that he had a strong support system in place. Two psychiatrists agreed with that assessment and testified that Turcotte did not represent a danger to society.

The former physician said he would live with his aunt and uncle if released on bail and would be of more use to society as a caregiver to them, instead of in prison.

The judge attached several conditions to Turcotte's release, including requiring his brother to act as a surety and pledge $100,000. Turcotte must also abide by a strict curfew and have no contact with his former wife. He must also continue taking his medication and check in with police several times a month.

At his trial in 2011, Turcotte said he attempted suicide by drinking windshield washer fluid and then stabbed his children to death because he did not want them to find his body.

He was found not criminally responsible for the deaths and spent 18 months at the Pinel Institute for the mentally ill before being released in December 2012.

In November 2013, the Crown successfully appealed the verdict, citing errors by the trial judge in his instructions to the jury. A new trial was ordered and Turcotte was re-arrested.

His new trial is scheduled to begin in September 2015.

With files from The Canadian Press