Canadian couple found dead in Mexican resort
Published Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:52AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:43PM EST
Mexican authorities say a Canadian couple has been found dead in their hotel room at a resort in Playa del Carmen.
The prosecutor’s office in the state of Quintana Roo said the bodies of a man and woman were found in a whirlpool tub on Monday. An official said the bodies showed no signs of violence and autopsies suggested that the man died of a heart attack, while the woman died of asphyxia by submersion.
According to local media reports, the man and the woman were in Mexico to attend their daughter’s wedding.
A family member in Baddeck, N.S., where the couple was from, identified them as Charles Mackenzie, 67, and Dorothy Mackenzie, 63.
A spokesperson for the Playacar Palace hotel, where the couple was staying, dismissed reports that the Canadians had somehow been electrocuted in the tub.
"The room was perfectly fine. All the equipments were working perfectly," David Rubeo told The Canadian Press. "What the family mentioned was a heart attack."
Rubeo said the couple's family was still there and being assisted by hotel staff.
The Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa confirmed that two Canadians have died in Mexico, but would not release any details.
“Canadian consular officials in Playa del Carmen, Mexico are in contact with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to the family and friends,” a spokesperson said in an email to CTV News.
Playacar Palace is an all-inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen, just south of Cancun.
The hotel’s website shows a four-storey beachfront resort near a ferry dock. It is located a short distance from downtown Playa del Carmen.
With files from The Canadian Press