Korea-owned company says it will fire up halted project after two years on hold
File - Oil barrels stacked on a loading dock.
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, December 22, 2017 2:57PM EST
CALGARY - In a rare sign of optimism for the future of the oilsands, South Korea-owned Harvest Operations Corp. says it has decided to complete and begin producing from a 10,000-barrel-per-day project it halted more than two years ago due to low oil prices.
The Calgary-based arm of state-owned Korea National Oil Corp. says major work has already started at the BlackGold project site south of Fort McMurray in northern Alberta and will continue through the winter.
It says it aims to commission its horizontal wells and start injecting steam into the heavy bitumen formation in the second quarter of 2018, with production expected to follow in the third quarter.
BlackGold, built for about $900 million, was considered mechanically complete when it was put on hold in the spring of 2015, resulting in 30 workers directly associated with the project being laid off. Benchmark U.S. oil prices were at about US$50 per barrel, half as much as a year earlier.
The company says it's being restarted due to "stabilization of crude oil pricing," along with the refinancing of $1.36 billion of debt earlier this year and the influx of an additional $250 million in financing, part of which will be used to fund the startup.
The February crude oil contract closed at US$58.47 per barrel on Friday.