By the numbers: Burger King & Tim Hortons
Cups of coffee sit on a counter in a Tim Hortons outlet in Oakville, Ontario on Monday September 16, 2013. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young)
The Associated Press
Published Monday, August 25, 2014 1:37PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:59AM EDT
Burger King and Tim Hortons have reached an agreement to form 'the world’s third largest quick service restaurant company.' Here's a look at the two restaurants.
- Established: 1954
- Headquarters: Miami
- Market capitalization: $11.03 billion, according to FactSet.
- More than 13,000 restaurants in 98 countries and territories globally.
- Sells burgers, fries, sandwiches, salads, desserts and other goods. Beverages include sodas, frozen drinks, milk, coffee and other items.
- Known as home of the Whopper. Nearly all of its restaurants are owned and run by independent franchisees.
- Established: 1964
- Headquarters: Oakville, Ont.
- Market capitalization: $10.96 billion, according to FactSet.
- More than 4,500 restaurants. This includes 3,630 in Canada, 866 in the U.S. and 50 in the Persian Gulf area.
- Known for its doughnuts and coffee, restaurants also sells fruit smoothies, sandwiches, soup, chili, paninis, wraps and baked goods.
- The company's co-founder, Tim Horton, played in the National Hockey League for almost a quarter century, with stretches in Toronto, New York, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo.
- Purchased by Wendy's International Inc. in 1995. Completed initial public offering and was spun off as a separate public company in 2006.