Brazil to charge Chevron executives for new oil leak
The Associated Press
Published Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:31AM EDT
SAO PAULO, Brazil - Brazilian prosecutors said Saturday they will file criminal charges against 17 executives of Chevron Corp. and drilling contractor Transocean Ltd. for a new oil leak near the offshore well where at about 416,000 litres spilled late last year.
Those targeted include George Buck, chief operating officer for Chevron's Brazilian division, federal prosecutors' spokesman Marcelo del Negri said by telephone.
He said prosecutors would file the charges including "environmental crimes" in a federal court next week, but he did not provide further details.
Other than Buck, he did not know how many of the executives worked for California-based Chevron and how many for Transocean, the drilling contractor for the well where the leak occurred last year.
Prosecutors have also asked the court for an order prohibiting the 17 from leaving the country, he said.
A spokeswoman for Chevron in Brazil said the company had no comment because it had not been notified of the decision. She asked not to be identified in line with internal regulations.
On Thursday, Chevron confirmed that there was a "small new oil seepage" and that it was working to collect the crude.
The size of the new leak is unknown, Brazil's National Petroleum Agency, known as ANP said, explaining the leak was detected because an oil slick appeared on the ocean surface.
An ANP spokeswoman said the new leak was "not coming from the well; it's been sealed. It seems to be coming from fissures on the ocean floor near the well," where the leak occurred last year. She spoke on condition of anonymity, saying she was not authorized to discuss the matter.
Chevron has asked ANP for permission to halt all production activities, saying it wants to conduct a "comprehensive technical study" to better understand the reservoirs where it's drilling.
Ibama, Brazil's environmental protection agency said in a statement posted on its website that Chevron has until March 20 to provide "detailed information on the action taken to mitigate the environmental impact" of the new leak.
The new leak is another challenge for plans to safely extract oil from the offshore finds Brazil has seen in recent years. It's estimated at least 50 billion barrels of oil lie off Brazil's coast, the biggest discoveries in the Americas in three decades.
Oil started leaking from cracks on the ocean floor at the site of a Chevron appraisal well last Nov. 7, about 230 miles (370 kilometres) off the northeastern coast of Rio de Janeiro state. About two weeks later, ANP said that the leak was under control.
Experts had warned, however, that there was a high risk of oil seepage resuming.
Chevron said at the time then that the spill occurred because it underestimated the pressure in an underwater reservoir.
It said that caused crude oil to rush up a bore hole and eventually escape into the surrounding seabed. The oil leaked through at least seven narrow fissures on the ocean floor, all within 160 feet (50 metres) of the well head.
The work at the Frade field in the Campos Basin where the leaks occurred is among Chevron's "biggest capital investments," according to the company's website.
The field produces close to 62,000 barrels of oil a day.