U.S. offers $3 million bounties for 3 Somali extremists
Al-Shabab fighters march with their weapons during military exercises on the outskirts of Mogadishu, Somalia, Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011. (AP / Mohamed Sheikh Nor)
Matthew Lee, The Associated Press
Published Friday, March 14, 2014 4:04PM EDT
WASHINGTON - The State Department is offering bounties of up to $3 million each for three members of a Somalia-based extremist group with ties to al Qaeda.
The group is al-Shabab, and it claims responsibility for last year's deadly attack on a Kenyan shopping mall.
The department says rewards are being offered for information leading to the arrest or conviction of Abdikadir Mohamed Abdikadir, Yasin Kilwe and Jafar, who goes by one name.
The three men hold senior roles in al-Shabab, which has launched attacks in Somalia, Kenya and Uganda. The bounties are part of the "Rewards for Justice" program that offers cash for information about terror suspects.
The department says Abdikadir co-ordinates al-Shabab's recruitment in Kenya, and Jafar is his deputy. Officials say Kilwe is al-Shabaab's emir for Somalia's Puntland region.
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.