Suspect in tragic NY hit-and-run crash held without bail
Julio Acevedo is taken from the 78th precinct in the Brooklyn borough of New York, Thursday, March 7, 2013. (AP / Louis Lanzano)
Published Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:22PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:28PM EST
NEW YORK -- The suspect in a hit-and-run crash that killed a pregnant woman and her husband on their way to a hospital returned to New York City on Thursday after his arrest in a neighbouring state. The couple's premature baby, delivered after the crash, later died.
Julio Acevedo had been ordered held without bail after being arrested in Pennsylvania on Wednesday. A friend arranged his surrender.
Acevedo, 44, faces charges of leaving the scene of an accident, New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said.
Acevedo is accused of driving at twice the speed limit and crashing into a car carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber. The Glaubers, both 21 years old, died Sunday, and their premature son, delivered by cesarean section, died Monday.
It was unclear if Acevedo had an attorney.
Acevedo told the Daily News tabloid that he was fleeing a gunman who was trying to shoot at him when his borrowed BMW slammed into a hired car carrying the couple. He told the newspaper he fled because he was worried he'd be killed. But police said there were no reports of shots fired in the area at the time of the wreck.
The couple belonged to a close-knit ultra-Orthodox Jewish community that is the largest outside Israel.
"It's a sweet bitter pill to swallow," Isaac Abraham, a spokesman for the community, said of the arrest. "It's a little good news that at least the man responsible has been arrested, but it doesn't bring any of the victims back."
He added that community members hoped Acevedo would face murder charges.