Suicide bombing at Sunni funeral in Iraq kills 16
People inspect the site of a double suicide bomb attack in the Shiite neighborhood of the Sadr City district on Sunday, Sept. 22, 2013. (AP / Karim Kadim)
Sameer N. Yacoub, The Associated Press
Published Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:57AM EDT
Last Updated Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:37PM EDT
BAGHDAD -- A suicide bomber detonated his explosive belt among Sunni mourners attending a funeral in Baghdad on Sunday, killing 16 people and wounding 35 others, officials said, in the latest episode of the country's near-daily violence.
Police officials said the evening attack took place when a suicide bomber detonated his explosive belt inside a tent where the funeral was being held in Baghdad's southern neighbourhood of Dora.
Two other attacks in the country's north left two policemen dead and 37 others wounded, the officials added.
Sunday's bloodshed came a day after a wave of attacks killed 104 people, most at a double suicide attack on a Shiite funeral in Baghdad.
Violence has spiked in Iraq during the past few months. More than 4,000 people have been killed between April and August, a level of carnage not seen since the country was on the brink of civil war in 2006-08.
Earlier on Sunday, a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden car into a residential area in the city of Kirkuk, wounding 35 people, Kirkuk Police Brig. Gen. Anwar Mohammed Qadir said.
The bomber targeted both a Kurdish educational office and an adjacent house for a Christian lawmaker, Qadir said. Seven members of the lawmaker's family were wounded in the attack.
Kirkuk is home to an ethnic mix of Arabs, Kurds and Turkomen who all have competing claims to the oil-rich area.
Hours after the Kirkuk bombing, police said a roadside bomb struck a security convoy near the northern city of Mosul, killing two soldiers and wounding two others.
Acting U.N. envoy in Iraq Gyorgy Busztin condemned the bombings, urging the government to boost security measures and Iraqis to refrain from revenge attacks.
"Retaliation can only bring more violence and it is the responsibility of all leaders to take strong action not to let violence escalate further," a statement from Busztin said Sunday.
Hospital officials confirmed the casualty figures for all attacks. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media.