Spain to ban cellphone use for train drivers in wake of July train crash that killed 79
A rail personnel worker checks the cabin of a derailed train following an accident in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, July 25, 2013. (AP / Lalo R. Villar)
Published Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:50AM EST
MADRID, Spain - Spain will ban cellphone use by train drivers except in cases of emergency after a train crash that killed 79 people.
Public Works Minister Ana Pastor said Tuesday that Spain also planned to install 'black box' data recorders like those used on planes, which give a more complete picture of incidents from the train journey.
The driver of the train that crashed July 24 outside Santiago de Compostela city has said he was going too fast and had been on the phone to a colleague moments beforehand.
He has been provisionally charged with multiple counts of negligent homicide. Formal charges are expected after another hearing.