Maine girl suffers burns after iPhone lights pants on fire
A row of iPhone 5c phones are on display at the Apple Store on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, Fla., Friday, Sept. 20, 2013, the first day of sales for the phone. (AP / J Pat Carter)
The Associated Press
Published Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:29PM EST
KENNEBUNK, Maine - The "stop, drop and roll" mantra came in handy for a Maine eighth-grader when her cellphone caught fire in her pocket at school.
Kennebunk middle school Principal Jeff Rodman tells The Portland Press Herald that the girl heard a popping sound Friday morning and smoke started billowing around her.
Boys were herded from the room so the 14-year-old girl could shed her flaming pants. She also did the "stop, drop and roll" move to help put out the fire. She was treated at a hospital.
Her mother had given her the Apple iPhone 5C two months earlier.
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.