Lawyer: Alleged shooter in S. Africa honeymoon slaying ill
South African Xolile Mngeni, center, stand with Mziwamadoda Qwabe, unseen, in court accused in taking part in the shooting death of Swedish woman Anni Dewani in Cape Town, South Africa, Friday, May 11, 2012. (AP / Schalk van Zuydam)
Published Monday, August 13, 2012 6:14AM EDT
CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- A defence lawyer for the South African man accused of being hired to kill a Swedish bride says the defendant suffers from blackouts and seizures. The newlywed's British husband is accused of arranging the killing.
Lawyer Qalisile Dayimani told journalists Monday outside a Cape Town courtroom that her client Xolile Mngeni also has problems remembering things. Mngeni had surgery to remove a brain tumour in June 2011.
Mngeni faces charges in the November 2010 shooting death of 28-year-old Anni Dewani. Judge Robert Henney said Mngeni's trial on murder, robbery, kidnapping and illegal gun possession charges will start Wednesday.
Last week, Mngeni's alleged accomplice pleaded guilty to charges over the slaying and received a 25-year prison sentence.
Dewani's husband, Shrien Dewani, remains in the United Kingdom pending an extradition hearing.