Home of retired archbishop Desmond Tutu is burgled while he and wife asleep
Then-archbishop Desmond Tutu speaks during a plenary session at the 42nd Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum, WEF, in Davos, Switzerland, Friday, Jan. 27, 2012. (Keystone / Jean-Christophe Bott)
Published Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:09AM EDT
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - A spokesman for Desmond Tutu says the retired Anglican archbishop's home in South Africa was burgled this week while he and his wife were asleep. The couple was not harmed.
Spokesman Roger Friedman said Thursday that a remote control device for the house gate was stolen in the incident in Cape Town early Wednesday morning. He says the Nobel Peace Prize laureate got up to check after the house alarm went off, noticed nothing unusual and went back to bed. Later he realized there had been a burglary.
Police say they are investigating a home burglary in Cape Town's Milnerton suburb in which "small household items" were stolen. No arrests have been made.
Tutu campaigned against white minority rule in South Africa and has remained involved in social causes.