Florida man choked to death in roach-eating contest
In this Thursday, April 14, 2011, shown is a brown marmorated stink bug at a Penn State research station in Biglerville, Pa. (AP / Matt Rourke)
The Associated Press
Published Monday, November 26, 2012 2:19PM EST
MIAMI -- A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy released Monday concluded.
Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents," according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office.
Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.
Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 64 kilometres north of Miami.
Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.
Archbold became ill shortly after the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
About 30 contestants ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.