Bautista's back: Jays slugger reports to spring training
Toronto Blue Jays' Jose Bautista hits a solo home run against the Baltimore Orioles on Oct. 4, 2016. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press via AP, File)
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, February 17, 2017 12:18PM EST
DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Slugger Jose Bautista said he's ready for a new season with the Toronto Blue Jays after a couple of freak injuries limited his play last year.
Bautista, who signed a one-year, US$18-million deal to return to Toronto, reported to the Jays' spring-training camp Friday.
Bautista landed on the disabled list twice in 2016 -- first in June with a left toe injury and then in August with a sprained left knee.
The 36-year-old right-fielder said there was nothing he could have done differently to prevent either injury.
Bautista hit 22 homers and drove in 69 runs over 116 games last season.
His new deal includes options that could see him remain with Toronto through 2019.