NASA calls off space station's dodging of junk
This picture provided by NASA of the International Space Station was photographed from the space shuttle Atlantis as the orbiting complex and the shuttle performed their relative separation on July 19, 2011. (AP Photo/NASA)
Published Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:29AM EDT
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - The International Space Station is safe from two pieces of menacing junk.
The U.S. space agency said Thursday the orbiting lab does not need to move out of the way of fragments from an Indian rocket and an old Russian satellite. The manoeuvr had been planned for Thursday morning but was called off.
Mission Control says there is a high degree of confidence neither object will come too close to the space station and its three occupants. The astronauts and controllers can turn their attention to Friday's undocking of a European cargo ship. The departure was put off earlier this week because of a communication system error.
The space station's neighbourhood 260 miles (418 kilometres) up is full of potentially damaging debris.