Redford rebuffs critics of Alta. budget update
Alberta Premier Alison Redford fields a question at the closing news conference of the annual Council of the Federation meeting in Halifax, Friday, July 27, 2012. (Andrew Vaughan / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Published Monday, September 3, 2012 2:48PM EDT
EDMONTON - Alberta Premier Alison Redford is responding to critics who say the province's recent budget update was lacking in terms of supporting data.
Finance Minister Doug Horner announced Thursday that falling oil revenues and a volatile global marketplace could leave taxpayers with a deficit as large as $3 billion dollars this year.
Scott Hennig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation noted the report contained few numbers that would allow the public to understand how the government arrived at its projections.
But Redford told reporters Sunday that the report was an exciting opportunity to change the way the government presents information.
Redford also responded to last week's announcement that her government was cancelling plans for a $122-million police training college.
She says police officials told the province in a letter three weeks ago that the facility wasn't necessary.