No new money to deal with U.S. border crossers, parliamentary committee told
RCMP officers arrest a woman who crossed the border into Canada from the United States with her two daughters, near Hemmingford, Que., on Friday, March 17, 2017. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson)
The Canadian Press
Published Monday, March 20, 2017 7:40PM EDT
OTTAWA - The Liberal government is examining whether the fallout from U.S. President Donald Trump's executive orders on immigration will require more cash to be spent north of the border.
But both immigration officials and the federal minister told a House of Commons committee that right now, there's no new money.
Departmental officials say Trump's executive orders are too new for them to be able to estimate how much they could cost Canada and in what ways.
The Immigration and Refugee Board, however, has been saying for months that a rise in the number of asylum claims is already straining its resources and it has put in a pitch for more cash.
Board officials had been hoping to get an answer in Wednesday's federal budget but Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen wouldn't commit Monday to new funds.
He says the fact that claims have been rising at the IRB since 2015 is proof the problem goes beyond the so-called Trump effect.