New York-style pumpkin ravioli for Valentine's Day
Published Monday, February 13, 2012 8:36AM EST
Planning the perfect Valentine's Day menu can be a challenge for novice cooks. Not to worry. Chef Victor Barry of Splendido Restaurant in Toronto offers these flavourful options that can be pulled together at home with ease.
This romantic dinner menu was inspired by the film "Serendipity," the favourite love story of Chef Barry's fiancée.
- 30 grapes
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 celeriac
- 100 g walnut vinaigrette
- 1/2 bunch parsley
1. Slice the celery and celeriac into fine strips.
2. Mix all the ingredients except the walnuts and parsley one hour before serving.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Finish by tossing in parsley.
4. Enjoy with a glass of Riesling wine.
New York-Style Pumpkin Ravioli
Ingredients for the pasta dough:
- 1 cup double zero flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 splash of water
1. In a mixer, combine all ingredients and mix until smooth and firm.
2. Let rest for at least 30 minutes.
Ingredients for pumpkin filling:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 150 g ricotta
- 150 g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg seasoning to taste
1. Place sweet potatoes in oven at 350 °F (176 °C) and bake until tender.
2. Scoop out and save filling.
3. Mix all the ingredients together and season to taste. The filling should taste like an unsweetened pumpkin pie.
Tools to make the ravioli:
- Pasta roller
- Frying pan
- Blanching pot
- 1 medium-sized piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 150 g butter
- 10 pieces sage leaves
1. Roll out the pasta dough using a pasta roller until it is very thin, but still has texture.
2. Pipe fill the pumpkin mixture onto the pasta dough in the size of a Toonie. Repeat halfway down the pasta sheet, leaving one inch in diameter around each filling.
3. Brush with water.
4. Fold over the pasta sheet while trying to remove all air pockets.
5. Cut out each ravioli with a ring cutter or use a knife to make squares.
1. Blanch the ravioli in salted boiling water for three minutes.
2. While blanching, melt the butter with the sage leaves and let the mixture become foamy.
3. Strain the ravioli and place on a baking sheet.
4. Rasp the Parmigiano-Reggiano over the ravioli.
5. Pour the butter and sage mixture over the ravioli.
6. Serve and enjoy.
Splendipity Ice Cream Sundae
- 1 small tub of vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups chopped brownies
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 bottle chocolate sauce
- 1 cup Kahlua
- 1 cup Frangelico
- 2 parfait glasses
- 2 parfait spoons
1. Coat the bottom of the parfait glass with chocolate sauce.
2. Add one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
3. Follow with a few pieces of brownie and peanuts.
4. Top with chocolate sauce.
5. Layer and repeat three times.
6. Add a splash of Kahlua and Frangelico to your coffee for a special treat.