March 1, 2012: Quick Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya
Published Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:06AM EST
Cooking from scratch can be time consuming. Don't let that stop you in the kitchen. Christine Cushing shows you how to cut the prep time, pump up the flavour and create a nutritious, speedy meal from scratch with this simple recipe.
Quick Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15 mL)
- 1 spicy sausage, casing removed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 stack celery, diced
- Pinch chile flakes
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika (2.5 mL)
- 12 shrimp, peeled, cleaned with tail on – optional
- 1 package In Cuisin Pomodoro (tomato) Risotto
- Handful chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium setting. Brown the sausage meat for three minutes, stirring often to evenly cook. Add the red pepper, celery, chile flakes, paprika and shrimp, if using. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften and the shrimp are cooked, about three to four minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the shrimp to a plate and reserve.
Return the skillet to the heat and add the In Cuisin Pomodoro Risotto. Cook stirring to soften the rice and heat through, about four to five minutes. Add the shrimp back to the skillet and sprinkle with a handful of chopped parsley. Plate and serve with wedges of lemon. Serves 4.