Turning bugs into tasty treats
Mark Wilson, Head chef at C-U Foods
Published Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:00AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:15AM EDT
With the world facing the possibility of overfishing and reduced farming capabilities, more people are turning to bugs as a source of protein. While it may sound odd, you can put them in many everyday foods.
Mealworm tofu cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (+1/2 cup for rolling dough)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar (+1/2 cup for dusting)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (1 lb) finely textured mealworm protein extract (vanilla flavoured)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Combine mealworm protein, water, and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until combined. Add sugar, baking soda, and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and slowly add flour, kneading until a dough forms and all flour is combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll dough on floured surface into sheets and cut into toonie-sized disks with a cookie cutter.
- Gently toss cut cookies in sugar and bake on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.