Ted Reader: Bourbon Street Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Praline BBQ Sauce
Published Friday, June 14, 2013 7:41AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, June 14, 2013 7:42AM EDT
Bourbon Street Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Praline BBQ Sauce
This recipe comes from memories of good times in the French Quarter on Bourbon Street, NOLA. Festive nights and many tasty treats! Serves 4
- 2 pork tenderloins (¾ to 1 lb/340 to
- 450 g each), trimmed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Bone Dust BBQ Spice
- 2 + 2 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 oz (60 mL) Jim Beam
- ¼ cup (60 mL) pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black
- pepper to taste
- Rub the tenderloins with Bone Dust BBQ Spice, pressing the seasoning into the meat. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for 4 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion for 10-15 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned and tender. Stir in the brown sugar, bourbon whiskey and pecans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and stir in another 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter a little bit at a time until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside, keeping warm.
- Fire up your grill to 450-550°F (230-290°C).
- Grill tenderloins for 6-8 minutes per side for medium doneness, basting liberally with praline barbeque sauce. Remove tenderloins from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice and spoon praline barbeque sauce over the slices.
Slash & Grill Chicken Drums
- 12 chicken drumsticks, plump and meaty
- 2 tbls (30 mL) Bone Dust BBQ Spice (or other dry rub)
- 2 tbls (30 mL) Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
- 2 tbls (30 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbls (30 mL) your favourite gourmet BBQ sauce
- 1 oz (30 mL) Red Stag by Jim Beam
- 3 tbls (45 mL) melted butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) coarsely crushed BBQ-flavoured potato chips
- Take a sharp knife and slash the outside of the chicken drumsticks, about ¼ to ½ inch (0.5 to 1 cm) deep at most. Rub Bone Dust BBQ Spice into the drums, making sure to rub it into the slashes. Let marinate in the rub for at least an hour. If you can go overnight, the flavor intensifies.
- Fire up your grill to 350-450°F (180-230°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chipotle-flavored hot sauce, icing sugar, barbeque sauce and black cherry bourbon. Stir it until the sugar is dissolved and set aside.
- Grill chicken drums for 20-25 minutes, turning frequently, until the drums are nicely charred and fully cooked but still moist and tender. Minimum internal temperature of 160°F (70°C) should be reached.
- Place all the drumsticks into a large bowl. Add the butter and chipotle-black cherry bourbon mixture. Toss. Add the crushed BBQ potato chips and toss again. Serve immediately.