Find Your Inner Jerk: Boneless Jerk Chicken with Jamaican Rice And Peas
Selwyn Richards, author, The Art of Cooking: Soul of the Caribbean
Published Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:15AM EDT
Jamaican Rice And Peas
- 1-1/2 cups cooked red kidney beans, liquid reserved
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups Grace Coconut Milk
- water (enough to make 2-1/4 cups combined liquid)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 green onions, crushed
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- Coarse black pepper to taste
- Cook red kidney beans to package directions.
- Put cooked beans into a large saucepan or pot.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Measure all liquids, including reserved bean liquid, Grace Coconut Milk and water; enough to make 2-1/4 cups.
- Add the 2-1/4 cups of liquid to the beans and garlic in the pot.
- Add rice, crushed green onion, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
Boneless Jerk Chicken
- 6 boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 tablespoons Grace Jerk Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl, mix well and let marinate in fridge for 4 hours to 24 hours.
- Cook chicken in oven at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Chicken can also be cooked on the grill with medium heat, turning often until done.