Libby Norris' high-tech gear to help you get fit
Published Monday, November 10, 2008 8:58AM EST
Following are notes on products mentioned by Libby Norris during her Monday segment on high-tech gear that will help you get fit. Libby is Canada AM's fitness expert and has a weekly segment on the show, focusing on everything from new gear to old techniques -- all designed to boost your fitness.
Nike + iPod Sport Kit $39.99
- A running journal for your iPod
- Tracks distance, time, pace and calories burned
- Online components allow you to set goals/track long term
- Gives motivational cues from people like Lance Armstrong
- SUPER easy to use - chip goes on your iPod and it sets itself up...other chip goes in the insole of your shoe.
- Downside - works best with Nike+ shoes (because the have the cut out in the insole.)
Garmin Forerunner 405: $299.99
- Long runs, tempo runs, speed drills. You expect a lot from your body...and from your training gear. Meet Forerunner 405. This GPS-enabled sport watch tracks your training, then wirelessly sends your data to your computer. The ultimate in training technology, its sleek design features a touch bezel that lets you quickly scroll and select features on the run.
- Loaded with serious training features, Forerunner 405 continuously monitors your time, distance, pace, calories and heart rate (when paired with heart rate monitor). Each run is stored in memory so you can review and analyze the data to see how you've improved. You can even download recorded courses to compete against previous workouts or race a Virtual Partner�. Customize Forerunner's data screens for instant feedback while you train.
Use with Ease
- Sport watch and personal trainer -- Forerunner 405 gives you the best of both worlds in a sleek, stylish package. This high performance watch is easy to use and comfortable to wear when not training. Simply tap the touch bezel to change screens without fumbling for a button. Forerunner 405 comes in two color options -- black or green -- to fit your style.
Run, Sync, Store and Share
- Once you've logged the miles, innovative ANT+™ wireless technology automatically transfers data to your computer when the Forerunner is in range. No cables, no hookups. The data's just there, ready for you to analyze, categorize and share through our online community, Garmin Connect or our optional Garmin Training Center� software. You can wirelessly send workouts from your computer to Forerunner, too.
- With Forerunner 405 you can share your locations, advanced workouts and courses wirelessly with other Forerunner 405 users. Now you can send your favorite workout to your buddy to try, or compete against a friend's recorded course. Sharing data is easy. Just select "transfer" to send your information to nearby units.
Track Heart Rate
- Forerunner 405 is available with or without a heart rate monitor (see the versions tab) to help you make the most out of your training. Versions with a digital heart rate monitor continuously track heart beats per minute. Train in a certain heart rate zone to improve your fitness level or compare your pace and heart rate to past performance on the same run.
- Take your training inside with the versatile Forerunner 405. Pair it with an optional foot pod to track your speed, distance and running cadence indoors when a GPS signal is unavailable. This new design clips onto your laces for easy removal and automatically turns on when you start moving. You can also add a speed/cadence bike sensor to track the speed and distance of your cycling workouts.
Lock Onto Satellite Signals
- Forerunner 405 sports a unique design that gives the GPS antenna a better view of the sky, so it can get a stronger signal during your run. And its high-sensitivity GPS receiver provides improved tracking under trees and near tall buildings.
Premier SmoothFit Cushion $129.99
- Seamless inside...so fewer blisters
- From Reebok:
- Comfort, smooth seamed synthetic upper- comfort, fit and durability
- IMEVA mdisole- cushioning
- Forefoot flex grooves- flexibility
- Carbon rubber heel strike durable traction
- Full length DMX foam lasting enhanced comfort and added cushioning
- PlayDry lining- moisture management
**Smoothfit- there are no seams, eliminates friction for your foot as you work-out= maximum comfort, no irritation
Premier Carcharodon Tech Top $69.99
- ANTI-ODOUR...naturally odour FREE for the life of the shirt
- From Reebok:
- Seamless fabrication, antimicrobial and antiodour properties, naturally odour-free for the life of
- the garment, supportive rib stitch and knit in welts, longer invisible centre half zip, semi-fitted
CCM Vector Boa $99.99
- No laces - kids/parents can turn a dial to tighten the skate.
- From CCM:
- CCM has recently launched a junior skate available exclusively at Canadian Tire. This skate is designed specifically for juniors aged 6-10 with sizing 1-5 and is a fantastic skate for the beginner hockey player with its easy tie-up system:
- The CCM Vector Boa features a patented reel and cable system that allows skates to be easily tightened. Elongated lace guides provide evenly distributed closure that micro-adjusts as the skater moves. The closure is solid and very secure- the system does not loosen as you move and the steel cables to do not stretch with use.
- The durable synthetic outer shell of the skate reduces abrasion and wear. The liner is quick drying for added comfort. In addition, the Vector Boa features the PROFORMANCE carbon steel runner.