A 17-year veteran of the Laval police force was shot and killed during a raid in Brossard, Que. Friday morning -- just a few days after joining the drug investigation unit.

Laval police confirmed Friday that 42-year-old Const. Daniel Tessier had died from gunshot wounds.

"He was a good guy, a good father, and we will regret (his loss) for a long time," Gilles Lemieux of the Laval Police Brotherhood told reporters.

The news was particularly hard to take for officers in Laval police force, who are still mourning the loss of Const. Valerie Gignac, slain in December 2005.

"The wound we had 15 months ago, I would say that the healing process has not ended," police Chief Jean-Pierre Gariepy told The Canadian Press. "The wound hasn't at all healed. And we're back in the same painful situation.

"I would say our people are in a very deep shock, a very heavy shock."

Another officer, Stephane Forbes, was shot in the arm and is expected to recover from his injuries.

The officers were taking part in a massive drug bust operation that involved raids at eight locations -- two in Brossard and six in Laval.

They were operating outside their jurisdiction because the suspects they were after in Brossard were from Laval. The two officers had been watching the suspects since last June.

Police have confirmed that a man and a woman have been arrested. CTV's Genevieve Beauchemin said a suspect -- reportedly the woman -- was shot.

Gariepy reiterated that regardless how much his officers prepare for dangerous situations, sometimes fate takes a cruel turn.

"The coin landed on the wrong side this morning," he said of Tessier's death in the suburban community of Brossard.

Despite all of the training and equipment that officers have, "there remains a grey zone that's extremely dangerous," Gariepy said. "The events of this morning are in that grey and dangerous zone."

Tributes from across the country continued for the fallen officer on Friday.

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day commended Tessier for his courage in Ottawa on Friday.

"This tragic death serves as a reminder of the dangers our police officers face while protecting us from those who have no respect for the lives of others," Day told CP.

"My heart goes out to the family, friends and colleagues of this brave officer who gave his life in the line of duty."

Winnipeg police Chief Jack Ewatski also extended his sympathies to the Laval force and their families.

"We know this is a very trying time for Laval police, whose Constable Valerie Gignac was fatally shot when responding to a call about a disturbance, just over a year ago," said Ewatski.

"The thoughts and prayers of members of the Winnipeg Police Service are with Laval members, as well as the families and others so deeply affected by today's tragedy."

Tessier has two girls, aged 10 and 12, with his wife -- who is also an officer serving with a different police force.

Quebec Provincial Police have taken over the investigation to determine the circumstances that led to the shootings. Laval Police Chief Jean-Pierre Gariepy told reporters Friday that his officers were in a very deep shock.

With a report from CTV's Jed Kahane and files from The Canadian Press