A Calgary man felt sparks and plenty of heat on a Friday night date with his wife after a spare battery for his e-cigarette erupted inside his pants as they stood in front of their favourite restaurant.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is probing the dangers of exploding batteries in e-cigarettes, following dozens of reports of devices that have combusted, overheated or caught fire and sometimes injured users.
Officials say an American Airlines flight from Dallas to Indianapolis was forced to make an emergency landing in Arkansas after a passenger's electronic cigarette "malfunctioned" and started a small fire.
The Liberal government says it will introduce legislation this fall to regulate vaping. Health Canada says the move will balance the need to protect young people from nicotine addiction while allowing adult smokers to legally buy vaping products.