Sienna Miller tells phone hacking trial she had 'brief encounter' with Craig
Actress Sienna Miller is seen in London in this Thursday, Nov. 24, 2011 file photo. (AP / Lefteris Pitarakis)
Published Friday, January 31, 2014 12:14PM EST
Last Updated Friday, January 31, 2014 1:53PM EST
LONDON -- Actress Sienna Miller said Friday that she had a "brief encounter" with James Bond star Daniel Craig, but insisted a British tabloid misconstrued the nature of the relationship based on a hacked voicemail message.
Miller told Britain's phone-hacking trial that she probably did leave a message for Craig that ended "I love you." But she said she always signed off to family and friends that way.
"The thing that's been slightly misconstrued about this voicemail message is the fact that I said I love you and that this was some incredibly important declaration of love," Miller said.
"I had always ended my phone calls to Daniel 'I love you'; it was a declaration of friendship."
Miller testified by video link to the London court from New Orleans at the trial of two former News of the World editors, and five others, over phone hacking and other wrongdoing at the now-defunct tabloid.
The defendants deny a variety of charges, including phone hacking, bribery and obstructing a police investigation.
In recent days the trial has focused on evidence from Dan Evans, a former reporter who says he hacked Craig's phone and used the "I love you" message as the basis of 2005 stories about an affair between Craig and Miller, who was then dating actor Jude Law.
Evans has pleaded guilty to phone hacking, and says top editors were aware of his actions. Defence lawyers have questioned his credibility as a witness.
Miller, who sat beside an FBI agent as she gave evidence from the United States, said she regretted that her relationship with Craig -- her co-star in the 2004 movie "Layer Cake" -- had been turned into "a titillating piece of information" for the press.
"Whether or not I was in a relationship with Daniel Craig at the time, it was a very brief encounter," she said. "He was my best friend. My saying 'I love you' was nothing new."
Owner Rupert Murdoch closed the News of the World in 2011 after details emerged of the scale of its snooping on celebrities, politicians and others in the public eye.
The same year Miller accepted 100,000 pounds ($165,000) to settle a phone-hacking lawsuit against the newspaper.