Katie Couric admits boyfriend's proposal 'stunned' her
FILE - In this May 6, 2013 file photo, TV personality Katie Couric, left, and John Molner attend The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute benefit celebrating "PUNK: Chaos to Couture" in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)
Published Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:07AM EDT
Katie Couric was "confused" when her boyfriend John Molner proposed.
The 'Katie' talk show host was stunned when the 50-year-old banker popped the question last weekend as the sun set on the beach in East Hampton, New York, and has admitted she interrupted his big moment.
Couric was so shocked by Molner's proposal that she didn't say "yes" straight away.
In an interview with the new issue of People magazine - out on Friday -- she said: "He said that there was a reason he'd brought me there to the beach, and that he loved me and was committed to me, and I said, 'Yeah, I know that, you didn't have to bring me here to tell me that.'
"Finally he said, 'Couric, I'm trying to propose to you,' and I was stunned."
Explaining how she responded, she replied with a laugh: "It took me a while to say yes, because I was so confused! It took a long time for my brain to process what was going on."
Couric eventually composed herself and gleefully agreed to marry Molner - who she has been in a relationship with for nearly two years.
The former 'Today' host was previously married to Jay Monahan, with whom she had two daughters, Ellie, 21, and Carrie, 17. She was widowed when he died from colon cancer in 1998 at the age of 42.
After she got over the grief of losing her spouse, Couric - who was previously in relationships with TV producer Tom Werner and businessman Brooks Perlin - decided she wanted to re-marry at some point she just had to find the right guy.
She said: "I knew that I wanted this. I made it a priority, and I pursued it with some purpose."
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.