Films from Rozema, Maddin make Canada's Top Ten Film Festival
Patricia Rozema, director of 'Into the Forest,' speak during the Toronto International Film Festival press conference announcing the 2015 Canadian features and shorts lineup in Toronto on Wednesday, August 5, 2015. (Aaron Vincent Elkaim / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:38AM EST
TORONTO -- Films from veteran directors Patricia Rozema, Guy Maddin and Philippe Falardeau are among the homegrown features screening at Canada's Top Ten Film Festival.
Rozema makes the cut with her survival drama "Into the Forest," which will get a screening in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver on Jan. 9.
That includes an interactive Q&A with Rozema in Toronto that will be beamed to audiences in Vancouver and Montreal.
Meanwhile, Maddin and Evan Johnson earn the spotlight for their art-house outing "The Forbidden Room," as does Falardeau for his political comedy "My Internship in Canada."
Side events this year include a discussion with actor Kiefer Sutherland about his career, taking place Jan. 16.
The festival runs Jan. 8 to 17, 2016 in Toronto, with select screenings also scheduled in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax and Ottawa.
Established in 2001, the festival celebrates contemporary Canadian cinema and raises awareness for Canadian achievements in film.
A national panel of six filmmakers and industry professionals selected the best in Canadian features. Here's a look at their picks:
- "Closet Monster," Stephen Dunn (Elevation Pictures)
- "The Demons" (Les demons), Philippe Lesage (FunFilm Distribution)
- "Les etres chers" (Our Loved Ones), Anne Emond (Entertainment One Films)
- "The Forbidden Room," Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson (Mongrel Media)
- "Guantanamo's Child: Omar Khadr," Patrick Reed and Michelle Shephard (White Pine Pictures)
- "Hurt," Alan Zweig (Super Channel/MDF)
- "Into the Forest," Patricia Rozema (Elevation Pictures)
- "My Internship in Canada" (Guibord s'en va-t-en guerre), Philippe Falardeau (Entertainment One Films)
- "Ninth Floor," Mina Shum (National Film Board of Canada)
- "Sleeping Giant" (Le geant endormi), Andrew Cividino (D Films Corp)
Canada's Top Ten Film Festival shorts for 2015 are:
- "Bacon & God's Wrath," Sol Friedman
- "Balmoral Hotel," Wayne Wapeemukwa
- "Bring Me the Head of Tim Horton," Guy Maddin, Evan Johnson and Galen Johnson (Elevation Pictures)
- "Interview with a Free Man," (Entrevue avec un homme libre), Nicolas Levesque (NFB)
- "The Little Deputy," Trevor Anderson
- "My Enemy, My Brother," Ann Shin
- "Never Steady, Never Still," Kathleen Hepburn
- "Nina," Halima Elkhatabi (Les Films du 3 mars)
- "o negative," Steven McCarthy
- "Overpass," (Viaduc), Patrice Laliberte (Travelling, les films qui voyagent)