Fentanyl not involved in Cory Monteith's death: coroner
The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:02PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:54PM EDT
VICTORIA -- British Columbia's coroner says there was no indication that the drug fentanyl was involved in the death of "Glee" actor Cory Monteith.
The BC Coroners Service issued the statement today, reiterating that Monteith died of a toxic mix of heroin and alcohol.
The clarification came out after Abbotsford, B.C., police issued a warning about recent drug overdoses involving heroin in that Fraser Valley community.
Constable Ian MacDonald says police started monitoring the problem in May, after B.C.'s medical health officer issued a warning about fentanyl being sold to regular heroin users.
Police logged eight overdoses since then, including one death.
Police say when Monteith's body was found Saturday in his Vancouver hotel room he had been dead for several hours.
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.