Canada's most-watched YouTube videos of 2014
Published Tuesday, December 9, 2014 12:01AM EST
This year, the dark horse ended up winning the race to become Canada’s most watched YouTube video.
Google’s video streaming site put out three top-10 lists Tuesday for the country’s most-watched videos of the year, creating separate categories for music videos and advertisements.
You might have seen most of them already, but chances are you’ll find a few gems you missed over the past 12 months.
Top Music Videos in Canada for 2014
Music videos tend to garner the most hits on YouTube, so the site separated the songs from the rest of its content. This year, the women definitely took over, taking the top eight spots on the list.
Katy Perry put out the most popular video with her hit Dark Horse, which has more than 700 million views since being released in February.
Following her are seven more songs with female vocals, including Nicki Minaj, Meghan Trainor and Taylor Swift. Check out the Dark Horse video and the rest of the songs below.
- Katy Perry - Dark Horse (Official) ft. Juicy J by KatyPerryVEVO
- Nicki Minaj - Anaconda by NickiMinajAtVEVO
- Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass by MeghanTrainorVEVO
- Taylor Swift - Shake It Off by TaylorSwiftVEVO
- #SELFIE (Official Music Video) - The Chainsmokers by The Chainsmokers
- Sia - Chandelier (Official Video) by SiaVEVO
- Ariana Grande - Problem ft. Iggy Azalea by ArianaGrandeVevo
- Shakira - Can't Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna by shakiraVEVO
- Calvin Harris - Summer by CalvinHarrisVEVO
- Jason Derulo - "Wiggle" feat. Snoop Dogg (Official HD Music Video) by Jason Derulo
Top Non-Music Videos in Canada for 2014
At the top of the charts for non-music videos was a lip sync battle between Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon and The Amazing Spider-Man actress Emma Stone.
The two throw down in a silent sing-off well worth watching for Jimmy Fallon’s dance moves and Emma Stone channeling her inner rapper.
Watch the Tonight Show performance below, and read the rest of the list for a man bending an iPhone, an alternative ending to Frozen and celebrities reading mean tweets about themselves.
- Lip Sync Battle with Emma Stone by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Celebrities Read Mean Tweets #7 by Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Goku vs Superman. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 3. by ERB
- iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test by Unbox Therapy
- Americans Try Canadian Snacks For First Time by BuzzFeedYellow
- Jimmy Fallon feat. will.i.am - Ew! (Official Music Video) by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- "Shapes Songs Collection Vol. 1" - 35 Mins of Baby, Toddler, Kindergarten Kids Learning Videos by Busy Beavers
- How Frozen Should Have Ended by How It Should Have Ended
- Top 10 Unsportsmanlike Moments in Pro Sports by WatchMojo.com
- #LEH - Superwoman & Humble The Poet (Official Video) by IISuperwomanII
Top Ads in Canada for 2014
YouTube also put together a list of its most popular advertisements. The winner of the commercial category was a video of people receiving special gifts from TD thanking them for being customers.
A few other tear jerkers make the list, but some light-hearted affairs also make the top 10, including a globe-trotting food adventure featuring soccer star Didier Drogba.
- Sometimes you just want to say thank you #TDThanksYou by TD Canada
- Budweiser Super Bowl XLVIII Commercial -- "Puppy Love" by Budweiser
- Always #LikeAGirl by Always
- FIRST KISS by Tatia PIlieva
- Dove: Patches by Dove
- Drogba vs. Messi: #EpicFood (Official full length version) by Turkish Airlines
- Most Shocking Second a Day Video by Save the Children UK
- evian Spider-Man - The Amazing Baby & me 2 by Evian
- Dear Kitten by Buzzfeed + Purina
- World's Toughest Job - #worldstoughestjob - Official Video by American Greetings