Undisclosed relationships causes Mountie who killed wife to lose parole
James Keller, The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:27AM EST
VANCOUVER -- A former Mountie who threw his wife off a 17th floor balcony three decades ago has had his parole revoked after he failed to report relationships with two women to his parole supervisor.
Patrick Kelly, 62, was convicted of first-degree murder in 1983 for killing his wife, Jeanette.
He was granted full parole in 2010 under a number of conditions, including a requirement to report any relationships with women to his parole supervisor.
Earlier this year, parole officials learned Kelly was involved in an intimate relationship that he hadn't reported. When he was arrested in August, Kelly was found with yet another woman who hadn't been reported to his parole officer.
Shortly after his arrest, Kelly admitted he had failed to report female relationships for the previous four months, according to a Parole Board of Canada decision released earlier this week.
He blamed his behaviour on a drinking problem, which he said he developed after an earlier break-up. That relationship had been reported, the parole board decision says.
The decision notes Kelly had demonstrated positive and respectful behaviour in the community and kept a low profile. Kelly's community parole officer recommended he be returned to the community.
But the parole board concluded Kelly's deceitful behaviour, including engaging in multiple affairs with women, echoed what was happening when he killed his wife. At the time of the killing, he was in one affair and was previously involved in two others.
The board said this pattern, combined with his drinking problem, had increased the risk he might reoffend.
"Your recent behaviour on full parole compares with a previous pattern of criminal behaviour, given your deceit, relationship dishonesty and the potential for financial stress," said the parole board's decision, dated Nov. 20.
"In all these circumstances, the board finds that your risk elevated to an undue level."
Kelly has been in custody since his arrest in August and the parole board's decision will mean he will stay in prison. He will be allowed to apply for parole again at his next hearing, which is likely at least a year away, said a spokesman for the parole board.
Kelly, a former undercover officer with the RCMP, has always claimed his wife's death was an accident.
During the trial, the Crown prosecutor said Kelly was attempting to cash in on his wife's large life-insurance policy. The court heard that shortly after his wife's funeral, Kelly went to Hawaii with one of his mistresses.
He appealed his conviction, but the Ontario Court of Appeal rejected his bid for a new trial.
Kelly's day parole was suspended in December 2004 after he was accused of fraud and breached a condition that required him to report all financial dealings to his parole officer.
While he was found not guilty of fraud, his day parole was revoked the following year for failing to report his financial activities and for failing to report a long-term relationship.
His 2010 parole hearing, when he was granted full parole, heard that Kelly had been living at a community residential facility in a remote area of north-central British Columbia.
While in that community, which wasn't identified, he started a restoration business working on vehicles and furniture, the parole board heard.
He told his 2010 hearing that he was also doing minor home renovations.
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.