Six face charges in disturbing attack against B.C. teen
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, January 11, 2013 2:03PM EST
Last Updated Friday, January 11, 2013 10:38PM EST
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. -- Six people face sex assault, assault and unlawful confinement charges in a case that police in north-central British Columbia say is horrific and disturbing.
The charges come after police in Prince George, B.C., found an unconscious teenage male beaten and sexually assaulted in a snowbank Monday night.
He remains in hospital in serious but stable condition.
Police say a second youth was also found in the area and had been assaulted. He was treated and released from hospital.
Police aren't releasing the ages of either victim.
Hayden Lee Alwood, 18 and 20-year-old Mercedes Rae Jewett have been charged with aggravated sexual assault, aggravated assault, assault causing bodily harm and two counts of unlawful confinement.
Jewett is set to appear in a Prince George courtroom Friday, while Alwood will appear Jan. 16.
Four juveniles, who can't be named, are accused of the same charges.
Two of the youths are 15, including a female, and the other two are 17 years old.
All six will remain in custody, at least until the Jan. 16 court appearance.
In the days after the two victims were discovered, RCMP Cpl. Craig Douglass said police determined the victims were targeted and lured to an apartment building where they were assaulted by a group of people.
"Definitely unusual, definitely disturbing, definitely something that we are not accustomed to seeing, and I guess we'll just have to wait though the court proceedings and see how that goes," Douglass said in an interview.
A police request for public help has also been successful, he said.
"Investigators have received several tips since our first media release," Douglass said in a news release. "This investigation remains a priority for the Prince George RCMP and every tip will be followed up."
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.