Sask. teen accused in pregnant girl's abduction sent to youth home ahead of next court date
The Canadian Press
Published Monday, January 14, 2013 5:44PM EST
SWIFT CURRENT, Sask. -- A 16-year-old boy has been sent to a youth home until his next court date in the alleged abduction of his 14-year-old pregnant girlfriend who was the subject of an Amber Alert in Saskatchewan.
The youth appeared in court in Swift Current where his case was put over.
He is not allowed to leave the Rock Solid Refuge facility in Shaunavon, Sask., unless he is with a youth home worker.
The teen, along with another teen, is charged with abduction of a person under 16 years of age, breaking and entering and disguise with intent.
One of them is also charged with possession of a weapon dangerous to the public.
The boy's mother is charged with abduction of a person under 16 years of age and obstruction of a police officer.
All three accused are to next appear in court in Maple Creek, Sask., on Feb. 14.
The Youth Criminal Justice Act prohibits naming underage suspects or anyone whose name could identify the youths.
It's alleged the girl -- who is eight months pregnant -- was forcibly taken from her family's home by her boyfriend last Wednesday night.
Both were brought to police the following evening.
The boy and girl in this case had been previously identified in news reports after police issued the Amber Alert seeking the girl's safe return. Her identity is also protected under the act unless parents give consent to her being named.
The alert was issued after the girl's family reported a pair of intruders wearing ski masks burst into the home demanding the girl pack some clothes and leave with them.
The family told police that one of the culprits, who was wielding a small wooden bat, walked through the home and found the girl in a room.
The boy's mother has told reporters her son, who is the father of the girl's child, would never hurt the girl and called the whole situation a misunderstanding.