Robert Pickton inquiry report to be made public next month
An artist's drawing of accused serial killer Robert Pickton, left, listening to the judge charge the jury at BC Supreme Court in New Westminster, Friday, Nov. 30, 2007. (Felicity Don / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Published Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:08PM EST
VICTORIA - The man who led a public inquiry into the failed police investigation of serial killer Robert Pickton has handed in his report to the B.C. government.
Wally Oppal studied why it took so long for the Vancouver police and RCMP to identify Pickton as the suspect in B.C.'s missing women case, despite warnings he was preying on sex workers on Vancouver's downtown east side.
The government says the 1,448 page report and its recommendations will be made public in mid December.
Earlier this week, three B.C. advocacy groups declared the inquiry a failure, saying it didn't do enough to include the voices of marginalized women.
Oppal responded by asking the groups to read his report with an open mind.
He said the report will make strong recommendations to better protect the most vulnerable citizens in society.