Review of N.B. wildlife rules to wait until probe into python attack is done: premier
A portrait of the young brothers rests on the altar at the funeral for Noah and Connor Barthe at St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church in Campbellton, N.B. on Saturday, Aug. 10, 2013. (Andrew Vaughan / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Published Friday, September 20, 2013 11:24AM EDT
FREDERICTON -- The premier of New Brunswick says a review of provincial exotic wildlife regulations won't be launched until after the RCMP complete their investigation into the death of two boys killed by a python last month.
David Alward says he is waiting for the police to finish their work before announcing details of the review.
A preliminary coroner's report said four-year-old Noah Barthe and his six-year-old brother Connor were asphyxiated after an African rock python escaped its enclosure in an apartment above the Reptile Ocean pet store in Campbellton.
The boys were there for a sleepover and their bodies were discovered on the morning of Aug. 5.
African rock pythons are not permitted in the province.