1977: Khadr family emigrates from Egypt, settles in southern Ontario

1985: Patriarch Ahmen Said Khadr moves to Pakistan at the height of the Soviet war in Afghanistan, meets Osama bin Laden.

Sept. 19 1986: Omar Khadr is born in Ontario.

1986: The Khadr family moves back to Pakistan, where the Ahmed Said Khadr works for an organization financed partly by the Canadian International Development Agency

1992: Ahmed Said Khadr returns to Toronto after his leg is injured in an explosion

1995: Ahmed Said Khadr is arrested for his alleged role in the bombing of the Egyptian embassy in Islamabad. He is later released after Jean Chretien intervenes on his behalf.

1996: Family returns to Canada, but Ahmed Said Khadr leaves again for Pakistan, forming his own humanitarian relief group. The family moves to Jalabad in Taliban-controlled eastern Afghanistan, where they live in Osama bin Laden’s camp.

1996: Omar and his brothers are taken to meet al Qaeda leaders for training at the age of 10. The family makes annual trips to Canada to raise money and collect supplies.

1999: Khadr family moves to Kabul, where Taliban have taken control after a long civil war.

Sept. 11, 2001: Terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

Nov. 2001: The U.S.-backed Northern Alliance rebels chase the Taliban out of Kabul. Omar Khadr flees to his father's orphanage in Logar, Afghanistan.

June 2002: After training on AK-47s, Soviet PKs and rocket-propelled grenades, Khadr, 15, works as a translator for al Qaeda and conducts a surveillance mission.

Oct. 2001: Ahmed Said Khadr is named on a list of suspected terrorists wanted by the FBI.

Injured and Captured

July 2002: According to statements of fact later read at his trial, Omar Khadr, now 15, threw a Russian-made F1 grenade from behind the wall of a compound in Afghanistan. The grenade killed U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer.

Omar Khadr is captured by the U.S. military after its forces bomb the compound. The teen is severely wounded, and as a result, loses sight in one eye. First detained at Bagram Air Base.

Oct. 2002: At age of 16, Khadr is transferred to Guantanamo Bay. Later, lawyers will argue that Khadr was not afforded special safeguards and care, including legal protections appropriate to the age of "child soldiers."

Oct. 2003: Omar’s father is killed by Pakistani forces.

Feb. 2003: CSIS officials first interrogate the young Khadr. According to legal documents, he was not provided access to legal counsel until November 2004.

Nov. 2003: Abdurahman Khadr, Omar Khadr’s younger brother, returns to Toronto after being released from Guantanamo Bay in July. He tells media he travelled and co-operated with U.S. intelligence services in the months between his release and return to Canada.

Legal battles and charges

March 2004: Khadr's grandmother, Fatmah Elsamnah, launches lawsuit against the Department of Foreign Affairs, alleging Ottawa failed to protect her grandson's rights as a Canadian. Elsamnah later launches a similar suit against U.S. authorities.

Sept. 2004: Khadr deemed "enemy combatant” by Combat Status Review Tribunal.

Aug. 2005: A Federal Court judge says Canadian agencies, including CSIS, are violating Khadr's Charter rights by turning information gleaned in interviews over to U.S. investigators.

Nov. 2005: After an Executive Order establishing military commissions, the U.S. government charged Omar with murder, attempted murder, conspiracy, and aiding the enemy.

Dec. 2005: Khadr's eldest brother, Abdullah, is arrested in Toronto for allegedly acting as an al Qaeda go-between and supplying explosives.

June 2006: The U.S. Supreme Court subsequently invalidated the military commissions system and those charges were dropped.

Feb. 2007: Omar recharged under the new system established by the Military Commissions Act of 2006 (MCA).

June 2007: Those new charges dismissed. The Military Commissions judge determined that the Military Commission did not have jurisdiction to try Omar as an “unlawful enemy combatant” based on his prior designation by the Combat Status Review Tribunal as an “enemy combatant.”

July 2007: Military Commission dismisses charges against Khadr for lack of jurisdiction

Sept. 2007: Court of Military Commissions Review (CMCR) reverses Military Commission ruling of 29 June 2007.

Oct. 2007: CMCR summarily denies defense motion for reconsideration.

March 2008: Khadr alleges that he was threatened with rape and violence by interrogators seeking to extract a confession.

May 2008: The Supreme Court of Canada concludes that Canadian officials illegally shared information about Khadr with the U.S.

July 2008: Khadr's defence counsel releases video of Khadr being interrogated by CSIS officials in 2003.

April 2009: Federal Court Judge James O'Reilly orders the Canadian government to seek Omar Khadr's return, finding it has failed to ensure that his treatment complied with international human rights norms. That ruling is overturned on appeal.

Aug. 2009: Canada's Federal Court of Appeal upholds ruling that requires the Canadian government to press for Omar Khadr's return from Guantanamo Bay.

Jan. 2010: The Supreme Court of Canada rules that Canada has violated Omar Khadr's Charter rights by participating in illegal interrogation methods. It says the federal government must be given a chance to rectify Mr. Khadr's plight.

April 2010: Khadr's defence team rejects a plea-bargain offer from U.S. military prosecutors that would have forced him to serve his sentence in a U.S. prison.

July 2010: Khadr tries to fire his three American lawyers, including a court-appointed military lawyer, saying he has no chance at a fair trial. A judge later refuses to allow it.

Oct. 2010: Omar Khadr trial begins at Guatanamo Bay, at the age of 23. He faced five war crimes charges, including one in the murder of Special Forces Sergeant First Class Chris Speer, who died in a grenade attack when Khadr was 15.

Khadr pleads guilty to five war-crimes charges, as part of a deal that guaranteed he would serve no more than eight years in prison, and would be eligible for transfer to a Canadian prison after serving 12 months of his sentence.

May 2011: Khadr's lawyers lose an appeal to have the sentence cut in half.

April 2012: U.S. Defence Secretary Leon Panetta signs off on Khadr's transfer. Ottawa receives an application from Khadr officially requesting a transfer to Canada from Guantanamo Bay.

July 2012: Lawyers file a notice of application in the Federal Court to ask it to review why Canada was delaying Khadr's repatriation.

Sept. 2012: A U.S. military aircraft picks up Khadr at Guantanamo Bay, and flies him to Trenton Air Force Base in Canada, where he is handed over to Canadian authorities.

April 2013: Khadr plans to appeal a plea-bargained guilty plea on murder and terrorism charges, his lawyer confirms.

May 2013: Khadr is transferred to a maximum-security prison in Edmonton after an inmate threatens his life at an Ontario penitentiary.

Sept. 2013: A 27-year-old Khadr makes his first public appearance in more than a decade at an Edmonton courtroom as lawyers argue for Khadr’s transfer from a federal maximum security prison to a provincial facility. The transfer is later denied.

Nov. 2013: On Khadr’s appeal to war-crimes convictions, a U.S. military court orders both sides to file arguments only on whether the court has the authority to hear the appeal.

Feb. 2014: Khadr is transferred to a medium-security prison in Alberta.

Mar. 2014: Khadr undergoes shoulder surgery at the University of Alberta hospital; after discharge, he is temporarily transferred to a Saskatoon hospital to recuperate.

April 2014: Khadr turns to Alberta’s Court of Appeal to argue that his eight-year prison term should be recognized as a youth rather than adult sentence.

May 2014: The widow of U.S. special forces soldier Sgt. Christopher Speer and American soldier Sgt. Layne Morris sue Khadr for $50 million, alleging the then-teen was responsible for the death of Speer and for Morris’ injuries in July 2002.