Interactive: Canadian fighter jets scramble after Sunwing plane
Follow the path of CF-18 fighter jets as they intercept Sunwing Airlines Flight 221 near Quebec City on July 16, 2012, and listen to radio communication. A glossary of call signs used in the audio recording can be found below.
Acronyms and call signs used in the recording:
- Vimy 11 – Canadian Forces CF-18 Hornet fighter jet
- Sunwing 221 – Sunwing Airlines Flight 221, operated by Portugal’s EuroAtlantic Airways
- TOI 1 – Track of Interest 1, the label Canadian Forces gave to Sunwing Airlines Flight 221
- ATC – air traffic control
- Montreal Centre – air traffic control centre based in Montreal, covering the airspace over Quebec
- Sidecar – Canadian Air Defence Sector, based at 22 Wing in North Bay, Ont., which is Canadian NORAD Region’s air operation centre, providing tactical-level control of the CF-18s
Note: The flight route is approximate and may not be exact.
Credit: Philip Ling, CTV News
Source: Department of National Defence