Guy Turcotte seeks bail while awaiting new trial
Published Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:17PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:47PM EDT
Guy Turcotte, the former Quebec cardiologist who killed his two young children, testified at a bail hearing Thursday, arguing that he has a strong support system in place and is ready to be free while he awaits a new trial.
Flanked by two security guards, Turcotte was released from the courtroom's prisoner's box as he made the case for why he should be granted bail.
He told the judge about a "dark period" he had been through over the past several months while in detention, CTV Montreal's Maya Johnson reported from the courthouse in St. Jerome, Que.
Turcotte described how he had been threatened and harassed by the other inmates, triggering a severe depression.
He was then transferred to the Pinel Institute in Montreal, and given medication to treat certain mental health conditions, including paranoia, Johnson said.
Earlier in the hearing, two psychiatrists from the institute also testified on his behalf, saying that Turcotte does not represent a danger to society.
Turcotte claims he's doing much better now, thanks to the medications and regular appointments with health professionals.
He also said he has a strong support system in his family and friends. His parents and brother were in the courtroom to support him.
"He feels that he is ready and able to be free, pending his new trial, because he has this support system in place to keep him stable," Johnson said.
But Crown spokesperson Jean-Pascal Boucher said the Crown isn't convinced there isn't a danger in granting Turcotte bail.
In 2011, Turcotte was found not criminally responsible in the 2009 stabbing deaths of his children Anne-Sophie and Oliver. But in November 2013, the Crown appealed the verdict and Turcotte was re-arrested.
His new trial is scheduled to begin in September 2015.
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.