Canadian Forces centre stabbing suspect: What we know so far
Published Tuesday, March 15, 2016 11:13AM EDT
A 27-year-old Montreal-born man with no previous criminal record is now facing several charges, including attempted murder, in connection with a double stabbing at a military recruitment centre in Toronto.
Ayanle Hassan Ali has been charged with two counts of assault with a weapon, one count of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault.
At a news conference on Tuesday, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders identified Ali as the accused, describing him as a Canadian citizen who was born in Montreal, and has lived in Toronto since 2011.
Saunders said the suspect had no previous criminal record. The police chief said the accused is not cooperating with police, and asked the public for any information or tips in relation to the incident at a recruitment centre located on Yonge Street in the city’s north end on Monday afternoon.
The police chief said the accused walked past a uniformed master corporal stationed at the door of the centre and then stabbed him. He also stabbed another military member who tried to intervene. Saunders said, at some point during the knife attack, the accused said “Allah told me to do this. Allah told me to come here and kill people.”
Police stressed that there is nothing to indicate that the accused is working with anyone or any terrorist organizations.