Aboriginal flood evacuees press Manitoba, Ottawa for new homes
Peter Bradley walks through the floodwaters in front of his home in Twin Beach, Man., in this May 2011 file photo. (Ryan Remiorz / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Published Monday, November 26, 2012 2:20PM EST
WINNIPEG - Aboriginal flood evacuees in Manitoba say they are being stonewalled in their search for a new place to live.
Roughly 2,000 people from six First Nations are still out of their homes after extensive flooding in May of last year.
Many have been put up in Winnipeg hotels.
Chief Adrian Sinclair of the Lake St. Martin First Nation says his members have their eye on a new site, but are being pressured to accept an old military base that isn't suitable.
Another Lake St. Martin resident, Myrle Ballard, says her community is paying a heavy price because it was artificially flooded by water diverted from Winnipeg and other larger centres.
More than a dozen residents rallied outside the legislature Monday.