April 12, 2012: Wood Smoked Salmon Hors d'Oeuvres with Tzatziki
Published Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:10AM EDT
Celebrity chef Anthony Sedlak shares an easy recipe for Wood Smoked Salmon and Tzatziki hor d'oeuvres.
Wood Smoked Salmon, Cucumber Tzatziki with Olive & Lemon, Picked Red Onion and Garlic Crostini
(Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres)
- 1 1/2 cups Oikos Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled & seeded – than brunoised
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. Srirachia hot sauce
- 1 glove organic garlic, minced on a fine rasp
- + Juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon
- + Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Greek Olive Oil & Garlic Crostini
- 1/2 of a quality, artisanal baguette, sliced into 1 mm-thick pieces -- 26 pieces
- 2 gloves organic garlic, sliced paper thin
- + Extra-virgin Greek olive oil, as needed
- + Malden salt to taste
Pickled Red Onion Rings
- 1 cup Greek red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 small organic red onion, peeled & sliced into thin rings
For the assembly:
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard mixed with
- 1 Tbsp Greek wildflower honey
- 26 slices of the best wood smoked, wild-caught salmon
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 26 super fine capers
- + Fresh dill as needed for garnish
- + Extra-virgin Greek olive oil as needed for garnish
For Cucumber & Oikos Yogurt Tzatziki with Greek Olive Oil & Lemon
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mix to combine, reserve in the fridge.
For Greek Olive Oil & Garlic Crostini
- Lay the sliced baguette pieces (in a single layer) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place a single piece of garlic onto each slice of baguette. Drizzle the bread generously with olive oil and season lightly with Malden salt.
- Cover the baking sheet with another piece of parchment paper and another baking sheet overtop so as to keep the baguettes piece, flat and slightly weighted down. Place into an oven preheated to 390 F (190 C) for 4 – 7 minutes until evenly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the finished crostini to cool completely on paper towel.
For Pickled Red Onion Rings
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Add the onion rings and place the pot into the fridge until chilled.
For the assembly:
- Combine the mustard and honey in a small cup and mix using a basting brush. Gently brush each piece of smoked salmon with this mixture and then lightly sprinkle with chopped chives. Gently roll each piece into a loose rose-like shape.
- Place a small dollop of tzatziki onto each crostini, set a salmon rose onto each dollop. Top each with a piece of pickled red onion, a single caper and then garnish with a small bud of fresh dill and a few drops of Greek olive oil.