Bank cod with Spanish winter stew and almond-parsley pesto
Ryan Gallagher , Reds Wine Tavern
Published Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:14AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:48AM EST
A Spanish-style stew of peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, garlic, and white beans and then cook the fish in the stew, top it with a parsley-almond pesto and then add a piece of toasted baguette with romesco for dipping in stew.
- 4 pc of cod (or whatever thick fish you prefer)
- 1 baguette (or any crusty bread)
- ¼ c blanched almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch parsley (leaves only)
- ½ fresh red chili (seeded)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ c olive oil
- Add all ingredients except olive oil to a food processor or blender and pulse until roughly chopped, then turn machine on and pour in olive oil in a steady stream until an almost smooth puree in formed.
- 1 pc fresh chorizo
- ½ fresh chili finely chopped
- 1/2 can piquillo pepper roughly chopped (or 1 small jar of roasted peppers)
- ½ leek (whites only, cut in half and washed, then cut into ½” thick half-moons)
- 1 small white onion (julienne)
- ½ c white beans
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ can whole tomatoes with their juices
- ½ lb fingerling potatoes (blanched and cut into ½” coins)
- ¼ c olives (optional)
- ½ c white wine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400F. Preheat a medium oven proof sauce pan (large enough to fit all 4 pieces of fish) then add the olive oil and chorizo and cook for 1 minute. Add the onions, garlic, chilies, and leeks and cook until onions begin to soften. Then add the potatoes, peppers, beans and olives (if using). Deglaze the pan with white wine and then add the tomatoes and lightly break them up. Immediately add the 4 pieces of fish, seasons with salt and pepper, and nestle into the liquids of the stew. Once the liquids have come to a light simmer put the pan into the oven and leave until the fish is cooked until the desired doneness (If you do not have an oven proof pan, turn temperature to low and put a lid on the pan).
To plate, put fish in the middle of a shallow bowl and pour chunky stew around the fish. Spoon the pesto over the fish and serve with a piece of fresh or toasted baguette.