Alleged cop killer released, issues statement
Published Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:17PM EDT
The man accused of killing a Laval police officer was freed Tuesday on bail and said he is sorry for the fate that befell Const. Daniel Tessier.
"I'm really, really sorry (about) what happened. My condolences to the Tessier family," 41-year-old Basil Parasiris told CTV Montreal after his release from a detention centre.
"I honestly thought there was a home invasion or something. ... My condolences to them. That's all I can say."
Parasiris faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of Tessier, who died last month during an early morning drug raid south of Montreal.
Parasiris claims he thought a home invasion was being carried out when police barged into his home where he lived with his wife and two children. In what was supposed to be a routine drug raid, officers smashed through the door and shots were fired. Tessier died instantly and his partner was shot in the arm.
In his ruling, the judge said the accused is not a threat to the public. But Parasiris will be living at his father's home under strict bail conditions.
Citing unusual circumstances, one of Parasiris's lawyers, Frank Pappas, said it's the first time in Canada a man accused of murdering a police officer has been freed on bail.
Surrounded by family on Tuesday, Parasiris said he was in "shock" during the first few weeks of his incarceration. "I didn't believe what happened," he said.
Parasiris' brother, Nick, said the family just wants to get Basil reunited with his children. "He's dying to get them out of school today just so he can see his kids and hug them for the first time in two months," he told CTV Montreal.
During his bail hearing, family and friends described Basil Parasiris as a family man and a loving father.
A preliminary hearing is expected to be held in late August.
With a report from CTV Montreal's Rob Lurie