$8.1M to boost search and rescue response in Canada
Defence Minister Peter MacKay is seen announcing more funding for search-and-rescue response in Halifax.
Published Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:38PM EDT
HALIFAX - The federal government says it will spend $8.1 million in an effort to strengthen search and rescue response across Canada.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced in Halifax today that the money would go to new life-saving equipment and tools, awareness programs and the development of virtual training.
MacKay says the funding reflects the government's commitment to boost search and rescue capabilities.
Ottawa has faced questions in recent months over search and rescue services, particularly in Atlantic Canada.
The death of 14-year-old Burton Winters in Labrador earlier this year raised concerns after the military could not immediately deploy helicopters from 5 Wing Goose Bay to find him because they were out of commission.
Last week, the federal government announced it is adding another chopper to that base's fleet.