5 things to know on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017
Published Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:00AM EDT
As residents of Florida and the Caribbean begin cleaning up after Hurricane Irma, Canadians are returning home to share their stories of what it was like during the disaster.
1. Trapped by Irma: As Canadians who were trapped by Hurricane Irma arrive home, they are describing the chaotic aftermath of the natural disaster.
2. Pot regulations: The federal government's lead MP on marijuana legalization says it's important to be ready to apply legalized marijuana laws by July 2018, despite concerns from Canadian law enforcement agencies.
3. Allan MacEachen: Former MP and senator Allan MacEachen has died at the age of 96. MacEachen was considered one of Canada's most powerful cabinet ministers of the postwar era.
4. Pond death: A young boy whose body was found in a pond near a Saskatoon elementary school was new to Canada, and officials say he was only on his second or third day of school.
5. Cheap fares: An ultra-low-cost airline is one step closer to taking off, with the company announcing its first flights will be based out of two hubs near Toronto.